Monday, September 13, 2010

Diagnosis

September 1, 2010 Neal went in to the hospital for a scheduled spinal surgery.  It was a pretty complicated procedure and overall the surgery went well. However, he had a setback [September 7th] and was readmitted to the hospital. He is currently in ICU and on a ventilator while he receives treatment.

A team of doctor's have finally come to the diagnosis of Guillain-Barré (Ghee-yan Bah-ray) Syndrome [September 8-9]. 

It is a very rare, inflammatory disorder of the peripheral nerves those outside the brain and spinal cord. It is characterized by the rapid onset of weakness and, often, paralysis of the legs, arms, breathing muscles and face. GBS is the most common cause of rapidly acquired paralysis in the United States today, affecting one to two people in every 100,000.
It typically begins with weakness and/or abnormal sensations of the legs and arms. It can also affect muscles of the chest, face and eyes. Although many cases are mild, some patients are virtually paralyzed. Breathing muscles may be so weakened that a machine is required to keep the patient alive. Many patients require an intensive care unit during the early course of their illness, especially if support of breathing with a machine is required. Although most people recover, the length of the illness is unpredictable and often months of hospital care are required. The majority of patients eventually return to a normal or near normal lifestyle, but many endure a protracted recovery and some remain wheelchair-bound indefinitely.

Neal has a great team of doctors treating him and closely monitoring him. Although he has a long road to recovery ahead of him, there is hope for a full recovery (and we all know what a strong person he is). Belinda has asked that Neal receive no visitors as he needs his rest and as much calm as possible. I will let you know if there is anything we can do to help/support them or if there are any changes as it would be overwhelming for Belinda to keep everyone individually informed. For now, please respect their wishes and keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
We will keep this blog updated regularly for all of his friends and family.  Feel free to leave comments and share this blog with anyone who would like to keep updated.

This blog is managed by Alyson (daughter to Belinda Hutchison).

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot to deal with! I will keep you and Neal in my thoughts and prayers. My brother has a very painful and dibilitating case of peripheral neuropathy and my mother had it also. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge bump on the road of life!! I will keep Neal and Belinda in my thoughts. Thank you so much, Alyson, for taking the time to write this blog so we can follow Neal's progress.
    -- Judy C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll keeping thinking of you and sending good thoughts for recovery

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Neal through the Alumni Band at the University of Nevada, Reno. I will, with your permission, pass this blog address along to all of his friends there, so they can keep up with his condition and cheer him on. He is loved by many!

    As an aside, I used a blog to keep friends/family posted when I had surgery & radiation and it really worked well for everyone involved. Best wishes and prayers. Let me know if there is anything we can do for you.

    Sincerely,
    Kiara Wolf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very difficult time for Neal and I wish him the best

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lorraine Larsen-HallockSeptember 16, 2010 at 3:11 PM

    I can only imagine how traumatic this is to Neal and all of you. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. I wish there was more I could do! Neal is such a positive, strong person I feel he will work through this, especially with all the love & good thoughts flowing his way.
    Just remind him that the wild turkeys frequenting my hill on a regular basis will be waiting for him!

    ReplyDelete