Sunday, January 29, 2012

from Grady McGrannahan

Dear Neal,

I wanted to tell you that I've been thinking about you ever since Kara sent the first message informing us of your condition.  After following along for the past few weeks, you have demonstrated that you are able to kick the crap out of anything that comes your way.  Way to go Pismo!

This is also the best way I can "visit" with you, considering that you came to visit me back in '01 when I was at UC Davis.  Although I don't remember much (given the "cocktail" I was on), I do know how much your visit meant to Mom and Dad.  They continue to speak very highly of you, Neal.  As a kid who ran around while you were in school, I'll never forget the band banquet you came to as one of the Blues Brothers.

Here's a little update:  My wife and I live in Des Moines, Iowa, where 
I've been teaching trombone and band at Drake University since 2007.  
I know, I know, something sounds eerily familiar.  The outpouring of love and good wishes from former UNR band members to you was so 
inspiring that I chose to share your story with my marching band.  
They needed to know how familial the college band can be, which is evident from the postings on your blog.  You probably realize by now how much you are loved within the "Pride" community!

We don't know how long we may stay in Des Moines, but ultimately, we'd like to come back home (or someplace closer to home).  Iowa is a very comfortable place to live, but Melissa and I miss the mountains and 
everything Northern Nevada/Northern California area has to offer.  
Regardless of where we live, we're both in the process of finishing our degrees.  Melissa is finishing her degree (here at Drake) in secondary science education and I'm wrapping up my doctoral paper.

No McGrannahan grandchildren yet, but the folks will have to be satisfied with a three year old German Shepherd named Astro.  Probably won't happen, given the tough luck a few years back.  But you never know, the medical scene is always making breakthroughs, which has been the case with your amazing recovery.

Stay strong, Neal.  I hope to see you at a future alumni band function.

Grady

No comments:

Post a Comment